Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:33:16 +0200
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@TELIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: headlamp upgrades....
Comments: To: zaranski <zaranski@netnitco.net>

Hi Wanna hear about the Volvo "upgrade" :-) The engine charasteristics works perfect in the Vīgon, itīll pull away easily from zero in second gear ( I have the 5 speed manual tranny) and still work itīs way up to 6.500 rpm in fifth even though itīs a -83 carb. engine....... It takes a bit of work to install though, I bought a conversion kit from a Swedish company called Swedish marine trading ( www.smt.nu ) that included engine mounts, exhaustpipe, waterpipe and the plate that allows the engine/transmission to bolt together plus some more parts that I donīt recall right now..... I had to move the gearbox about two inches forward to get clearence between waterpump and body and then raise the enginelid some 5 inches but it was not as difficult as it first seemed! The turbo engine would probably be even nicer to drive around with but Swedish law will not accept that, even the B23 engine with fuelinjection pumps out more torque than the gearbox can take - according to the VW corp. If I should do the conversion today Iīd probably take a closer look at the VW turbodiesel but chances are Iīd end up with the Volvo anyway, itīs a reliable engine and if it should break down Iīm able to get one at the wreckyard for about 100US$ instead of the 1200$ they would charge for any of the two used VW engines ( wbx or 1.8 tdi) with the same mileage.......

Calle -88 Transporter Mullhyttan, Sweden

----- Original Message ----- From: "zaranski" <zaranski@netnitco.net> To: "Calle Fallberg" <calle.fallberg@TELIA.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 3:38 PM Subject: Re: Re: headlamp upgrades....