Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2003 06:33:35 -0500
From:         Owen <olists@THEBRANDS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Totaled camper van

I know this insurance thread has been covered more than once but I have stand with Brodbeck on this one. He succinctly stated the case for self insurance whenever possible. Self reliance is key. The max value for my 84 is probably 6k. Full coverage so I can hope to get most of that in the unlikely event that I completely total the van? Then pay an even higher premium? No thanks. Self insured in this area isn't such a stretch.

Too expensive to repair is dependent upon the damage and who can fix it. If I were entirely dependent upon a mechanic and a body shop it might change my tune some, but not much. How many "totaled" vans are bought by able bodied list members at auction and turned into perfectly good vans?

I prefer to maintain my RAIC (redundant array of inexpensive cars) myself as much as possible. The RAIC consists of a few cars that we enjoy driving and I enjoy working on. If one car is taken out of service (planned or unplanned maintenance, squire) I am not stuck with a rental and the pressure to change my schedule to hurry up and fix it.

I carry the same policy on all of them. State required liability with a bit more coverage to repair the other person's car, hospitalization for the other person, and 250k in umbrella liability to hedge our lawsuit crazy times. <rant="on"> The 250k is just one more area that I have cede to society's distorted value system. Pay high premiums so you can stick it to the insurance company if/when something happens, hope to be moderately injured so you can be rewarded with a payoff well in excess of any real damages? No thanks. I refuse to participate in that ponzi scheme.<rant="off">

Owen Brand 84 Wolfsburg Westy 88 Saab 900t 90 Saab 900t convertible 94 Volvo 940t wagon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Braddish" <braddish@MAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 8:21 PM Subject: Re: Totaled camper van