Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:40:26 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      power mirror problem
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com

Just back on the list(s) after spending much of July and August breathing smoke in Montana. More than 3,000 miles on my '90 Westy (now with 158K) and no problems. Picked up a new set of Michelin LT XC4's at Sears in Missoula. On sale and no sales tax. The previous set served me well with over 54K miles and still some tread left.

For a while now, my power mirrors have been a bit flaky, as in not working all the time. The left mirror works fine in all directions, the right mirror now not at all. When the knob is in position to control the right mirror, moving the knob up or down causes a clicking, but no movement, in the left mirror! I took the panel off and removed the switch and took it apart and cleaned it, including the tiny little spring-loaded bars. There was some corrosion and wear. I cleaned it all up, lubed it with di-electric grease and put it back together. The left mirror works well, the right mirror not, as above, causing clicks in the LEFT mirror. This is a clean, pampered van, inside of doors clean and no breaks in the wiring boots. Any suggestions? I suspect the switch. Anyone got one? Thanks, Jerry