Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:48:01 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Post Trip Report (short)

Folks,

Well, we made it there and back again... Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

A paltry offering of images can be found here http://homepage.mac.com/jspeer_mn/PhotoAlbum10.html

Twelve Mile Beach campground is a up on a high bank, so launching our kayaks proved difficult, but we managed. The weather was clear until the day we began the return trip, but the wind was kicking up about 30 knots in the mid afternoon which made paddling into it a slow affair. On our first full day there we managed to paddle down to the "Log Slide" but had to turn back due to the winds.

We only saw one other Vanagon the whole time... a nice 91 Carat. On our last day a 70's vintage bus rolled into the campground, but they didn't stop to talk.

The road to Twelve Mile Beach was the worst dirt/gravel road i've ever taken a car on. There was some very bad washboard, but there was also a rocky section that was positively jarring. The steering felt "lighter" and a bit "floaty" on the ride home.

All in all the van performed fine... the fridge even made ice on two nights despite daytime temps in the high 80's. Gas milage averaged about 18.2 even with the boats on the roof, we never went faster than 69 MPH (traveled almost exclusively on secondary roads).

-jspeer '89 Westy GL, "Mystery Machine"