Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:09:40 -0700
From:         James Ballen <ballenjames@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      2 questions

Forgive my semi-naive questions... but I am still learning my way around my vanagon.

I have an '83.5 w/original 1.9L WBX

First thing is, when I am parked I often like to use the radio. Currently, the stereo is wired in traditional fashion where you need to turn the key for it to come on. My question is, with the key on like that, the 2 led's are on in the dash, and I believe the fuel pump engages too, right?

Will I put excessive wear on the fuel pump by leaving the key on for say an hour or two?

I'm not so worried about the LED's, although they may burn out if I have the van for another 20 years...I think LED's have about a 10,000 hour lifespan.

Second question is about transmission fluid. I have the standard 4-speed.

I would like to drain the stuff that's in there, and put in some of the Redline fluid. In the Bentley, it says that I have a 3.5 quart capacity for the 091 tranny, and that the drain/filler plugs should be tightened to 15 ft lb. This is great, but I cannot find anywhere that refers to where the drain or filler plugs are, or any other info I need to know about draining/refilling.

Can anyone shed some light?

Sorry if this seems terribly obvious to some of you.

I appreciate the help.

-james

_________________________________________________________________ Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam