Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:22:09 -0400
From:         caverat <caverat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      RE- Sirius Radio -- can someone answer a few ?'s
Comments: To: jrunberg@MAC.COM

Hi John,

First off, you made the right choice since Sirius has commercial free music and XM (the other satellite radio) has commercials on many of their music channels. I posted a lot of info on Sirius back in June, so if you search the archives for Sirius you can find out a lot more detail about the service and how I installed my unit in my Westy. I had the service for over a year and I haven't listened to AM/FM since I got it, there is no comparison between the two. Check out www.sirius.com for details on the service and the equipment. I just ordered my 3rd free Sirius radio last week from their latest Friends and Family deal (see info below). You can get the new 2nd generation equipment (tuner + antenna + car or home docking station + free shipping to your door) for free that you probably saw at Circuit City for around $170. You will need to agree to a one year subscription to take advantage of this deal. This friends and family deal is supposed to be for people like Circuit City salepersons but the offer details end up getting posted on the Internet each of the three or four times that they have had it. Sirius knows this is happening but they are still allowing those that call to get the equipment since they are trying to build their subscriber base, clear out 1st generation equipment (previous offers), or get people hooked on the service. This current offer expires on September 30 or until they get rid of the 5000 receivers they alloted for this round. If you happened to have already picked up the Kenwood or Audiovox plug-and-play unit on your window shopping trip, consider taking it back for a refund and taking advantage of this offer to get the exact same equipment for free. Your savings will more than pay for your subscription. I would recommend the wireless Audivox Shuttle since you can move that from car to car or hook it up to your home stereo with the home docking kit. I believe a portable boom box component is supposed to be available soon that will allow you to take it anywhere.

BTW, on Jay Leno last Friday night Pamela Anderson announced her new Club Pam radio show on Sirius. They supposedly gave away free radios to everyone in the audience.

Here is the offer details:

caverat

<<Free hardware with purchase of subscription>>

<<Here's a fantastic deal for completely free hardware (your choice) with a paid subscription. Details below (as provided by Sirius Producer, John McMullen): ~~~~~~~~~~~ This afternoon, I mentioned on my show that there is now an opportunity to get a free SIRIUS Satellite Radio portable receiver. These are the new units that will work in a home/office or automobile. I'm sending this out to friends and family because, it's the SIRIUS friends and family accommodations program. I'd like to offer you the opportunity to take advantage of this great deal.

Here's how it works....

To be eligible, you have to be a family member... or friend of an employee. And, anyone who listens to my show is DEFINITELY a friend!! Orders for the radios are limited to one system and one activation per participant. Orders must be placed no later than September 30, 2003, and the radio must be activated by October 31st at the very latest. Your acceptance of the hardware authorizes SIRIUS to activate and bill the credit card you use for $77.70 for the first 6 months of service. A one-year programming commitment is required at the time of activation. The second payment of $77.70 for the year's service is due approximately six months later. We will ship the system to the specified shipping address within 72 hours as long as hardware is in stock. You get FREE activation (normally $15). If you choose to deactivate service within the first year, a $30 charge will be billed for the cancellation fee to your credit card.

Now, keep in mind that this program has limited quantities of our new portable radios so if you want to take advantage of this free hardware/free activation offer, you will want to act quickly.

There are two systems to choose from:

1. Kenwood Here2Anywhere System: KTC-H2A1 KPA-H2C (car kit docking station) KPA-HTH (home kit docking station)

or

2. Audiovox SRS: Satellite Radio Shuttle SIR-CK1 (car kit with built-in FM transmitter) SIR-HK1 (home kit)

Here's how you order...

Call 800-466-9742 between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. Eastern Time, between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Saturday, no later than September 30, 2003.

Alert the SIRIUS representative that you are calling in for the Employee Friends & Family Program.

Provide the SIRIUS rep with the following: Your Name Your Home Address Your Phone Number Your Credit Card Information Your Hardware Selection (I personally recommend the Audiovox system, but both are cool... Audiovox is best if you plan to get the car kit because it has a built in FM modulator that will allow you to transmit to your existing car stereo) Give the representative my name, John McMullen, as your employee referral.

Once your system arrives (usually within a week), you will need to install it. It's VERY EASY. However, if you find it confusing, you can take it to a installation service at any of our major retailers. They will charge for this service. But, again, the portable units are easy to install because they don't involve modifying your vehicles. After installing, turn on the radio and select channel 184, the Preview Channel, to confirm that it is working properly.

THEN... Call SIRIUS at 888-539-7474 to Activate the unit.

When you talk with the service representative, you will need to provide them with your contact information and your SIRIUS ID Number from your receiver which will be located on the outside of the system box (it can also be found on the display by pushing the correct buttons detailed in the instruction manual).

John McMullen Program Director>>