Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:36:15 -0400
From:         Marla Stelk <mjstelk@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Throttle body/idle stabilizer woes...

Hi Jesse,

All I can tell you is what my experience was with mine. I had similar problems - my idle stabilizer wasn't buzzing and my throttle body was all gunked up from when my transmission seal blew and oil flew all over my engine compartment. My idle control unit looked okay on the outside. I first tried to clean my idle stabilizer with brake cleaner - didn't do anything. So I got a good used idle stabilizer valve - it was working and you could hear it trying to do its job, but it was having difficulty maintaining a smooth idle. A listee told me that most mechanics won't replace one without the other, because typically if you idle stabilizer valve has died, it will will fry your idle control unit. So I replaced my idle control unit, cleaned all the gunk out of my throttle body area and now its idling "normal". I disconnected my oxygen sensor which was an additional problem for my idle and will replace it as soon as I get a new exhaust. Air leaks will cause idling problems. If the rubber air intake boot has leaks, you should replace it. They will, like everything else rubber or plastic in the van, get old and develop cracks in them. Take it off and do a thorough inspection of it to see if it has cracks.

Good luck!

Peace, Marla '87 Westy GL "Vana Morrison"

_________________________________________________________________ Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es