Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:37:14 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tie Rod Boot replacement
Comments: To: vw4x4@FYI.NET

In a message dated 9/17/03 2:13:36 PM, vw4x4@FYI.NET writes:

<< The opening that is left after removing this dounut just might fit over the ball joint. Anyone ever try this? >>

ERic,

A couple of hours ago, I did exactly what you described on a '90 Syncro. The outer tie rod end had to be worked through the smaller end of the boot, but it was not a big deal.

One thing I noticed was that a power steering rack which I have in stock from an '86 Syncro does not have the grommets on the tie rods and so the smaller ends of the boots are the same diameter as the tie rods and too small to fit over the outer tie rod ends. On the other hand, a manual rack which I have from an '84 2WD uses the same boots as the '90.

Another rather sorry-assed difference which I noticed was that the locking slots for the tie rods are on the top of the rack on the '90 while on the '84 manual rack the are on the bottom. The only reason this makes a difference is that I had wanted to change the tie rods with the rack on the car. Perfectly doable on the '84, but on the '90 the steering rack has to be pulled. Best laid plans and all that.

George