Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:10:00 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Door Locks
Comments: To: Fin Beven <FinBeven@MSN.COM>

Nope, there are only three wires going here, even though there are four posts.

I may have this backwards, but I believe the ground is always on one post, and then juice comes to the other two posts - one to open the lock and the other to lock it.

Most common problem is that the contact between the door and the post is poor. First, check the wiring with a test light. Confirm that ground is on one post, and then have someone lock and unlock the front door with the key. You should see juice to one post for locking and the other for unlocking. If this is not the case, you have a broken wire(s).

If this works, clean the posts on the door and pillar with a wire brush to clean them.

--- Fin Beven <FinBeven@MSN.COM> wrote: > I think that this may have been addressed some time > ago, but at the time I didn't realize that I had a > problem. > > My front doors seem to lock just as they should, but > neither the sliding side door nor the rear hatch > will lock when the front door locks are activated by > the key. > > I opened up the switch connection on the > passenger-side pillar. There are 4 connections, but > mine only had wires leading to three: the top, the > top-middle, and the bottom connections. There > appeared to be only these three wires in the harness > leading to the switch. > > Before I discovered this, I had been installing > wiring in that pillar to run an extra lamp, and to > run a permanently mounted fan. My concern is that > in the process I might have somehow pulled the > connecting wire off of that lower-middle connection, > and that it is now somehow stuck up in the pillar, > somewhere. > > However, this would not readily explain why the rear > hatch automatic locking would not be working. > > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. > > Fin Beven > '90 Carat, Camper conversion. > Pasadena, CA