Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:08:36 -0700
From:         mark <guruvinnie@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      loud lifters after freeway driving

I had main seal replaced by Europro in Costa Mesa... no more oil leak... then the water pump had to be replaced... did this is san diego... first time using Randy's Foreign Auto... I get on the freeway.. and right away the drive belt snaps.... the mechanic put the ac belt on the wrong groove... it rubbed the drive belt to pieces... when it broke it bent the tube you stick the oil level measure into and pulled it out of the engine block a bit...

I had just changed my oil and filter... the mechanic came out right away... replaced the belts and kinda straightened the oil tube.... drove to LA ... and now the lifters were getting loud.. they're hydraulic (I have a 1991 2.1)... noticed the tube needed to be pushed in... it has a cover that is supposed to mate to the block.... ... so the oil got contaminated.... theres a lot of crude in this area... I pushed it in.. added marvel mystery oil... revved at idle... the sound of hammering subsided.... still.... now they get loud after I've been driving freeway speeds... but when I drive city streets the sound subsides... I don't if its from the original contamination or if it keeps getting recontaminated.... Randy's isn't all bad... probably the better in the area of San Diego... but just a little bit of carelessness in the end and they fucked everything up for me... I feel safer using Europro in Costa Mesa... but I would still use Randy's again... I'd just check their work a bit more closely before I left the area... some other mechanic, Mike's on Adams not too far from the 805 and 30th street... was telling me that changing a water pump is a 6 hour job... I would never use that guy... ever....

Maybe I should've just done it myself... 6mm allen wrench.... would've taken me a long time I'm sure... but I would've put the belt on the right groove.... life can be really irritating... saving time isn't saving time, trust is a four letter word