Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:43:23 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Loud lifter problem

At 08:35 AM 09/19/2003, you wrote:

>I am in the middle of servicing a WasserBoxer motor that came in very >noisy, tappets and more. This is with all three above items verified. Will >report on all the steps taken to improve and correct these motor noise >issues as I will finish with it later today.

Ok, the noises had to do with broken brackets for the lower push rod tube shrouds, tappets, maybe some subtle exhaust leaks, and some cheap recent replacement parts.

I cinched up the exhaust fasteners, wedged pieces of wood to hold the shrouds from vibrating, then addressed the lifters. Added 1/2 quart 2 cycle oil to the crankcase, ran the motor 10 minutes warm, drained and changed the filter and oil, added the other 1/2 quart 2 cycle oil. Oversize drain plug wouldn't hold, brought out the last few rounds of thread. Installed 1.5X oversize plug. This can never happen without over torque. Learn to feel the crush of the soft metal seal and stop, no more. Lifters now quiet after driving 5 more miles.

Rumble rumble from bearings of newer wannabe no name loss leader weekend FLAPS FLYER water pump remains. Not the smoothest sound as well from both recently cheap reman alternator bearings, same $39.95 loss leader type item from the looks of it.

Gross black from the initial solvent run proves lots of varnish and tar in there to dissolve. That's why I don't run them long with the initial shot of solvent. If it's really heavy in there, it can plug your filter and bypass chunks to your bearings. All experiments have an element of danger. I will advise changing the oil and filter again within an hour or two of hot running. Get the filth out, get it clean and keep it clean inside. Double your engine life over rule of thumb schedules by keeping the oil clean by actual inspection. Keep notes!!