Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:24:08 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: 15" wheels
Comments: To: conradk@MAC.COM

In a message dated 9/20/03 12:00:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, conradk@MAC.COM writes:

> I found out the hard way that my '85 has a clearance problem on the > control arms with the rims + LTX M/S tires. I tried 8mm spacers, but > will need at least another 10mm to clear the control arms. The tire > guru who helped me research Load Range "C" compatibility, says that LTX > is about the only tire that meets the sidewall integrity requirement. > He was unaware of another one that would unless it is a commercial tire. > > Also, I found out that even without spacers, I need longer lug bolts in > the back. There are also "positioning" bolts in the drums that prevent > the wheels from mounting flat. Again, if you have a Syncro you should > be OK. > >

you failed to state what size tires you are using. as far as those "positioning" bolts on the rear drums - remove them and throw them in the garbage. for that matter, if you are running stock steel 14" wheels or ANY wheels remove those bolts and throw them in the garbage also. these 2 little bolts serve NO purpose other than to keep the drum from falling off the stub axle when the wheel is off. as in when youre changing a tire or something. and like, theyre really going to fall off anyway? you have to bang the drums off with a hammer if you want to get them off anyways. i have run the audi 5000t wheels on a few different vans ive had. why are you stating that you will have to use another 10mm in addition to the 8mm spacer you already have? no way.. you must have done something wrong.. 10mm is plenty enough for the fronts. i can get 10mm mercedes 5x112 (same as vanagon) hubcentric spacers that work perfectly. and i just used the stock vanagon carat alloy lug bolts for the fronts. as far as the rears, remove those 2 stupid little bolts, and bolt the audi wheels right on. you dont need any spacers on the rears. in fact you dont really need any longer studs either.. the nuts bite down plenty enough. if you look at the stock vanagon carat alloy lug nuts and remove those pressed on stainless steel nut caps, you can see that the stock carat rear nuts dont go all the way down on the studs either...but they bite down plenty enough.. email me for pics of these wheels on a van..

chris