Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:50:53 -0500
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: please help!!! I dunno what to do 85' 1.9L
Comments: cc: icculus22420@yahoo.com

Tracy,

If the O2 is disconnected and it is still running rich your AFM may be the problem. What do you mean by "it definitly isn't working right"?

One of the main reasons the 1.9 will run rich is air getting into the system betwen the AFM and the O2 sensor. Check the intake boot to make sure it is tight with no cracks and still flexible (mine was hard as a rock). Tighten the clamps at the AFM and throttlebody. Ensure the crankcase vent hose connection is tight and the hose is crack free and still flexible. Check the boots on the intake runners for the same (mine crumbled in my hand). Check the condition of the vacuum hoses -- won't do much for running rich but since you're looking anyway ... Same with the fuel lines.

Give your exhaust system a good inspection. Look for evidence of exhaust escaping at the heads and joints.

All these can let air in causing the O2 sensor and AFM to give incorrect signasl to the ECU. The ECU reacts by sending more fuel.

If the AFM isn't metering correctly give it a good cleaning. If there is a groove worn in the carbon strip try loosening the screws and shifting the board. If none of this helps try replacing the AFM.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'