Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:55:13 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Megasquirt FI Control and Vanagons

Andrew, you should also be looking at the megajolt and megasquirtnspark yahoo groups to see what they are doing with ignition stuff (among others). From what i've read (not a whole lot), they are developing solutions to get signals from our hall senders. They have working units using a Ford EDIS module (or something like that) which is just a missing tooth gear so the computer can sense crank location.

It is doable to stay within the DIY EFI motif and completely ditch our digi____ systems.

However, since most of what they are doing has been aimed towards racing, there hasn't been a ton of research into tuning for emissions testing, etc, but from what i've heard of people switching from Bosch L-Jet systems to megasquirt, the consensus has been that it gives a more "refined" or "sophisticated" feel of engine performance.

As soon as funds allow, that is going to be my next project. I'm going to start with megasquirt, and then if that goes well, i'll try adding in an ignition unit, too (they'll probably have something integrated by the time i get it all figured out :-)

Also, for those who are at all interested in this, on the megasquirt homepage, you should read Lance's "Megamanual" (under FAQs)... it does a pretty good job making lots of technical information accessible.

-Damon

--- Andrew <Andrew@VWMAIL.NET> wrote: > I've been considering it if I can't find my > intermittent FI problem. > There's a Yahoo group for people installing/using > megasquirt on VWs, megaVAG, > http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megaVAG/ . I've > been watching it for a few months now, and almost > everyone seems to be using it for racing. One down > side to using it on Digifant is that you must leave > the ECU connected, except for the injectors and OXS, > for the ignition, so I picture it looking kind of > messy.

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (wow... it actually works!)