Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:47:23 -0700
From:         phil cain <bearsvw2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      The United Empire Loyalists Fall Colours Tour
Comments: To: Camping VW <vw-camping@yahoogroups.com>

--- Greg Potts <Greg@pottsfamily.ca> wrote: > Hi Volks, > > Development continues on the Fall Colours tour > planned for October 4th > and 5th in eastern Ontario, Canada. While my parents > scouted the > Kawartha Lakes arm of the route this afternoon with > their Westy I was > busy collecting maps and scouring the web for things > to do and points > of interest. > > Jamie Rivers ran last year's Fall Tour, following > the Niagara > Escarpment from Rattlesnake point up to Collingwood. > This year we are > going to head into the United Empire Loyalist > territory of eastern > Ontario. > > The leaves are only starting to think about turning, > and since > hurricane Isabelle turned out to be little more than > a heavy rain I am > pretty confident that two weeks from now the colours > should be > magnificent. We're planning a route to avoid 4-lane > highways and keep > us on 2-lane blacktop and well-maintained gravel at > all times. > > The tour will start off at the gates of Darlington > Provincial Park, at > 9:00 AM Saturday October 4th. For those who arrive > early (or camp over > at Darlington the night before) we'll probably get a > pancake breakfast > going to feed the crew. Once we gather up all the > buses we'll head NE > to the shore of Rice Lake near Bewdley, then veer SE > towards Trenton > and Quinte Island. Quinte island is the heartland of > the United Empire > Loyalists, and the area is rich with history and > full of victorian > architecture. The local artists of Quinte Island are > having a Studio > and Gallery Tour that weekend, so there will be lots > to see. After > exploring the island we'll head through Kingston and > take the ferry out > onto Wolfe Island. There's a nice campground out > there with a great > view of the Saint Lawrence river. I will also get > B&B and motel info > soon for those who prefer not to camp out in > October. > > Sunday's festivities will begin at 8AM with > Breakfast Burritos. At 10AM > we'll start back west towards Toronto, in a route > TBA. I'm thinking it > would be good to follow the Trent/Severn system, > going North on 62 > through Madoc and picking up highway 7 west to > Norwood before dropping > south to Hastings. There's a bit of planning still > to be done on this > leg of the route but it is sure to be a good run. > > If you're interested in coming along, please email > me and let me know. > Can someone please pass this along to the Vanagon > List? > > Happy trails, > > Greg Potts > Toronto, Ontario, Canada > > 1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** > 1977 Sunroof Automatic > http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia > http://www.geocities.com/busesofthecorn > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > To UNSUBSCRIBE send any e-mail to: > type2-unsubscribe@type2.com > To email the admin for list help only: > type2-admin@type2.com > For additional commands send any e-mail to: > type2-help@type2.com > Donations help keep the list going. > http://www.type2.com/donate.html > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >