Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:09:24 -0400
From:         Brien Dews <briendews@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Buses By The Beach Fall Campout

Hello Fellow VW Enthusiasts!

We are only one week away from Buses By the Beach Fall Campout in Grand Rapids, MI. http://www.busesbythebeach.com/index.html Thank you to everyone that has sent Brien, Billy and I messages telling us how excited you are to come to the event. We can't wait to see everyone. We are going to have a great turnout. Everyone that was at the spring event is coming back and plus many, many more. We have buses coming from Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Canada and of course Michigan. The location we have chosen is going to be very nice. We have our own grassy area that is near the bathrooms but is somewhat secluded by the trees surrounding the site. There is going to be one central fire pit so everyone will be able to sit around the fire together for conversation. Please bring firewood to share. If there are any musicians out there please feel free to bring a guitar or instrument for fire side songs.

Every year Grand Rogue Campground has their annual Halloween Costume and activities party. There will be a costume party for the kids, camp site decoration contest, French Toast breakfast, spooky train rides, and weenie roast along with other Halloween activities. We are looking forward to see all the creative camp sites that all the bus people are going to have.

The canoe trip on Saturday may not happen because of very low water in the river. We can make a decision as a group whether we want to go on Saturday. If we do not go we can take a bus cruise through some of the hilly, wooded roads around the area. Within a couple miles of the campground is putt-putt golf and go carts. So there is lots to do.

We have had many people e-mail us and say that they either do not have a bus or their bus is under repair/restoration and would like to come to the event. Everyone is welcome. If you don't have a bus and like to be around bus people or yours does not move under its own power we would still love to see you there. Although there will be many nice buses there, we enjoy seeing those rusty, banged up buses from years of road trips that are being held together by Grateful Dead Stickers just as much! Those are the vehicles with lots of character and full of great stories. So bring what ever you have for a good time for a good cause. Tom at Grand Rogue Campground is donating $5 per night per site to Buses By the Beach to benefit our charities. And a special thanks goes to the Michigan Vintage Volkswagen Club http://www.mvvc.net/ for their generous cash donation. We are going to take all the money raised and apply it toward a 4 times matching grant foundation from XTRA Lease to benefit the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors and the Spectrum Health Regional Burn Center. So a little bit of money is going to turn into a very large donation toward our charities.

Things you should know if you are coming to the campout:

1) Directions: Highway 131 northbound out of Grand Rapids to exit 91 West River Drive. Take a left turn at light so you are heading East on West River Drive. Proceed until you see sign for Grand Rogue Campground on right hand side. If you get to a major four lane intersection and stop and go light at East Beltline/Northland Drive then you have gone about a ½ mile to far.

2) Plan for your own meals on Friday night, Saturday lunch, Sunday breakfast, and Sunday lunch. Food is provided during Saturday morning French Toast breakfast and Saturday night weenie roast.

3) There is a grocery store, RV store, and restaurants within a couple of miles of the campground so we are very conveniently located for what ever you may need.

4) 2:00 pm check in and check out time.

5) Alcohol is permitted. Good beer is welcomed, however disorderly conduct is not.

6) Pets are welcome. Please have a leash and baggies for poo.

7) No hook ups. There will be very limited electricity available. There is only one pole that has electricity so if you need electricity make sure you bring a long extension cord.

8) If you are able, please bring firewood to share with the community fire pit.

The agenda for the event is as follows:

a.. 2:00pm Friday afternoon until 9:00pm. Check in time. Most people will be arriving after 6:00 pm. Train tour ride. b.. Friday night: campfire and conversation. c.. 9:00am Saturday French Toast, Sausage and Hot Coffee breakfast. d.. Canoe trip time to be determined. Some where around 12:30pm Saturday. e.. 6:30pm Tom's spooky train ride followed by Weenie Roast and Halloween Party for all ages! Bob for apples, enjoy free hot dogs chips and cider. Vote for the best Costume, and Site decoration. Fun for the whole family! f.. Saturday night: campfire and conversation g.. Sunday everyone is on their own to do as they please.

We are very excited to see many of you again and to meet new friends. If anyone has any bus troubles along the way please feel to call Todd on his cell phone at (616) 443-6475 and we will help you any way we can.

Wishing you many miles of smiles!

From the founders of Buses By the Beach

Todd Olson todd@vwmail.net (1987 Westy, 1970 Westy)

Brien Dews brien@vwmail.net (1984 Westy)