Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:27:57 +0000
From:         David Maurio <maurio11@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rust Removal
Comments: To: mwstebbins@yahoo.com

Thanks!

I ordered the new seal from Bus Depot, just had a new windshield installed (that's when I noticed the rust) so I'm hoping not to break it when I remove it. I'm probably going to just slice the old gasket off which should make it easier to remove the windshield w/o breaking it!

-- David /NJ 85 Wolfsburg Westy "Beatrix" 90 Fox http://home.comcast.net/~maurio11/ > --- David Maurio <maurio11@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > This weekend I plan on replacing my windshield seal, > > while it's out I'd like > > to tackle the rust bubble that's starting to appear > > underneath it. Any > > suggestions, tips, pointers or product plugs? > > I'm doing this right now with the side & rear windows. > There is a lot in the archives re R&Ring van windows. > > > I started by taking widows out of jukers (for > practice) . I go around the outside and inside of > the rubber molding with a plastic screwdriver type > thing to break the seal, and then for the windshield > I sit in the passengers seat and put my feet on the > corner of the windshield and push with progressively > more pressure, and maybe have someone tug at the > inside corner seal to peel away the rubber up and over > the steel as I push. I've never broken a window. Be > sure to have a person on the outside to 'catch' the > window just in case you have strong legs. > > Re replacing the glass: at first I did not understand > the string idea/trick, but after putting one window > in, I now understand that trick. I use silicon spray > to lubricate the rubber prior to re-installing. When > re-installed I also then go around the top and sides > of the seal - as deeply as I can - with some sealant > to keep water out. If you have a few extra bucks, now > is a good time to order new rubber. If you have the > plastic cosmetic insert in the seal, I (for no real > reason) take this out prior to removing the window and > I spray paint it and replace this prior to > re-installation, otherwise it is very hard to get it > back in properly. > > Re rust, I was lucky to get at the rust prior to it > going all the way through the metal. I grind off the > paint (with a rotary wire brush on a drill) around the > rust spot back to good metal, I use liquid > rust-converter stuff (and follow the directions) to > get at the rust, then primer and finally paint - 2 > coats each. > > Having done one window, the rest are easier. If I can > help more, let me know. I can send some pictures. > Malcolm > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com