Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:58:33 -0700
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      4-wire O2 sensor swap...

Well, it was time for a new O2 sensor. Mine was acting sluggish and it turns out that the heater was no good (open).

Since the OEM one is rather expensive I figured I'd go with one of the "universal" replacements with no plug (and some crimp connectors). I really don't like to use crimp connectors on such critical (and low voltage) stuff, so I shopped around a bit and realized that I can get a 3-wire Bosch sensor for a Ford Mustang GT (V8) for the same price as the universal sensor (about $42). A 4-wire sensor for the Mustang LX with 2.3L 4 cylinder is about $46. Cool....

I bought the 4-wire one for Mustang LX. (Bosch 15716)

So, off to Pick'n'Pull I went, and snipped a 4-wire O2 plug from a donor Ford and took it home and grafted the plug onto my wiring harness and added a signal ground wire from the plug to the block.

Now when I change my sensor next time I won't have to buy an expensive one or fiddle with splicing wires. I can just buy an inexpensive 4-wire sensor for Ford 2.3L (very common) and plug it right into my harness with no hassle.

P/N for the Bosch 4-wire sensor is 15716 and it fits '91 Mustang LX with 2.3L engine, (as well as many other Ford cars and trucks)

P/N for the 3-wire sensor is 13942 and fits '91 Mustang GT (5.0L V8) and many others.

Make sure you get the right connector at the wrecking yard. All the Fords with 3-wire O2 use one style plug and ones with 4-wire use a slightly different style. They look very nearly the same, but are *not* interchangeable. The 3-wire plugs are black and the 4-wire are white. (at least the ones I saw)

Get enough harness wire with the plug to extend the VW harness about a foot to make up for the fact that the O2 sensor itself has shorter wires than the OEM VW sensor. I soldered and heat shrunk all the connections.

Since my Westy has a Subaru EJ22 instead of the 2.1 WBX, it was unnecessary to extend the harness wires for my application.

Cheers,

Steve EJ22 -> '86 Westy "Escape Pod"