Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:11:30 -0700
From:         Westyman <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      It's getting colder,
              time to think about heat: Propex heaters anyone?
Comments: To: Syncro list <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          VWVANFULLTIMERS <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>,
          Wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          FullMoonBusClub <FullMoonBusClub@groups.msn.com>

Well, it's that time of year when many of you are thinking the camping days are over for the year, except for those who don't mind sleeping in a freezing-cold van. As some of you know, I became the US distributor for Propex Heatsource Ltd., of UK, last winter. That company stopped manufacturing their great compact propane van heaters for two years while they totally redesigned them to meet new European Union safety standards. I sold quite a number of the new heaters last winter, and have been selling a few more over the warmer months, again this winter would like to gear up for a larger shipment. This will enable me to maintain the lower prices a bit longer and make the heaters affordable to more of you, even though the US dollar is worth less now against the GB Pound.

Propex www.propexheatsource.co.uk has expanded their lineup slightly. There are three basic models: EX1800, which is the model sold in most of the world outside the EU, with a rating of approximately 6000+ btu output while using a miserly 1.3 amps, all in a heater the size of a shoe-box. HS 1600 is the EU-spec unit, and adds many additional safety features as well as self-diagnostic modes. It is basically the same as the EX1800 with different electronic circuitry. HS 2800 is the newest offering, with an output of almost 10,000 btu. It has the same safety and diagnostic circuitry as the HS1600, but is larger dimensionally. This should be able to roast you alive if that's how you like your winter camping!

Additionally, all models are offered in a marine-use configuration for those of you with boats, and also can be ordered with two heat outlets instead of just one. One more interesting item they sell is a small propane-fired water heater, for those that have the space and really need hot water on demand.

Pricing for the heaters currently is $525 for the EX1800, $595 for the HS1600, and $695 for the HS2800, plus slight extra cost for dual outlets or marine use. Shipping and insurance in the US are a flat $20. All models are externally vented, so may be used in a totally closed van, and are thermostatically controlled similarly to a home furnace. I found it funny that two units I sold this summer were for a tent and a cabin at a fishing camp in Alaska! So, I guess a remote cabin would be yet another great place to install one, maybe connected to a deep-cycle battery and a solar panel!

I will be also offering installation of the units in some parts of the east this winter, and quite possibly the PNW in January. Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from a few of you, or better yet, many of you!

Karl Mullendore Westy Ventures Gapland, Maryland 301-432-4645