Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:12:24 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch problems..pilot bearing?
Comments: To: Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM>

You must take the bellhousing off of the tranny to replace the input shaft. Very easy to do. Once the tranny is out, it will take about 20 minutes.

--- Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > There is no grinding noise at any time or I would > have stopped driving the > van. How much should it cost to have the pilot > bearing replaced? If the > input shaft is chewed up can that be replaced > without dismantling the > transmission? Is there any way to test for this > besides removing the tranny? > > Thanks, > Nathan > > >Do you have a grinding noise when the transmission > is in gear and the > >clutch is pushed in? If so, it's the pilot > bearing. I had those same > >symptoms on my '75 bus when the pilot bearing was > on its way out. > >Eventually it seized and I couldn't disengage at > all. I've heard these > >can chew up the end of the input shaft when they > fail. > > >Yes, this is exactly what happened to my '88 a few > years back. Came on > >fairly suddenly though, passing through Hwy 99 > enroute to Duffy Lake. Not > >a nice road to have clutch problems on... Made it > home have to start in 1st > >gear many times, but after 150kms the input shaft > was toast. Papers from > >PO noted an earlier pilot bearing failure, and > shaft was *not* replaced, so > >I > >suspect once the shaft is chewed up, it will > continue to eat pilot > >bearings... > >I have the trans out now for a clutch/main seal > fix, and the new PB and > >input shaft look like new still. > > _________________________________________________________________ > Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low > as $29.95/month > (depending on the local service providers in your > area). > https://broadband.msn.com