Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:27:13 -0400
From:         robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help with a Stereo Upgrade for Power Window 89 Carat

Hi All,

Need some help from the Stereo Experts here, I need to do a major stereo upgrade to the stock system.

The Van is an 89 Auto Carat with Power Windows.

? I was told by Vanagain that I need to replace the stock power window regulators and motors with aftermarket units they sell to put big speakers in the lower section of the door panel, is this correct?

? Is there any way around that? They cost $140 each set of Motor & regulator, so a that means $280 total just for that.

I am looking to hack the vanšs driver and passenger doors and place the largest speaker as possible in there for good sound as well as possibly cut an opening in the rear where the current stock units are.

Herešs the locations I have considered:

Front: The drivers side & pass side doors, - Lower area

Possible mini-tweeter on dash

Rear:

On the left and right sides of the rear heater core unit, have an all natural wood piece there made by the previous owner, look great too and thought it might give good sound to the front from there.

A thought to replace the rear stock speakers that in the air conditioning top housing with larger speakers, just donšt know how large would fit in that area if I had it opened to a larger size.

I am mostly looking to get get great sound upfront with crisp frequencies and deep tight bass with a loudness level that will be heard well while doing 75mph with the windows open.

I open to all and any reasonable suggestions.

I would like to spend no more than $700 dollars if possible not including the power window motor and reg. Replacements.

Thanks to all in advance. Robert NYC 89 Auto Power Carat