Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:06:41 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C cycling
Comments: To: Fin Beven <FinBeven@MSN.COM>

Don't blame the A/C yet. It is doing what it is supposed to do. VW wired it to shutdown whenever the cooling fan came on high speed. Maybe your fan is running on high too much.

There are at least 3 different temperature ranges available for the radiator cooling fan switch. I suggest you try putting in the middle range one. They are about $15. I put the coolest one in my Syncro Camper this summer but the fan ran way too much so I put the middle range in. Here are the 3 temp ranges I found available at my favored parts supplier.

coolest was: high on-93 off-82 , low on-87 off-76 middle was: high on-93 off-88 , low on-85 off-80 hottest was: high on-102 off-91 , low on-95 off-84

None of the ones available now exactly match the temps listed in the Bentley. Bentley numbers best match the hottest one for 1.9s and medium one for 2.1s. The VW dealer sells the coolest one for 2.1. I think this is too cool and makes the fan run more often and stay on longer.

Mark

Fin Beven wrote: > > After all of the camper-conversion work, I'm now starting to actually use my '90 Carat quite a bit. In the process, I've discovered a few "issues". > > One of them is the A/C, and here's how it goes. > > The needle on the temp. gauge never seems to go above the top edge of the warning light. At that point it triggers the high speed cooling fan. When this occurs, the A/C is automatically shut down until the needle gets to the low edge of the warning light, and then the cycle starts all over again. > > We experienced this continuously for several hours driving down 395 between Bishop and Mojave in east-central California on a 90-degree day. The A/C was off at least as much as it was on. > > This doesn't seem like very good A/C. My '84 never experienced this condition, although it did seem far more prone to over-heating on a long, up-hill grade. > > It may be significant that the PO lived in Las Vegas, and may have set something in a way different than the way others are set. > > So, the question. Do I just learn to live with this, or is it "broken", and needs fixing ? > > Thanks for any advice you might offer. > > Fin Beven > Pasadena, CA > '84 GL, camper-conversion > '90 Carat, camper-conversion