Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:07:18 -0400
From:         dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Removing CV from axle shaft?

I place the shaft vertically in a vice, with the joint resting on top of the vice and the shaft hanging down. Dont tighten the vice around the shaft, its just hanging there. Then hammer the shaft DOWN out the center of the joint with an old socket that is slightly smaller in diameter than the shaft. Be careful to center the socket on the shaft and hit it hard. Try not to hit the splines around the edge. Once the shaft is nearly free, take care not to drop it.

dr

swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA wrote: > As per usual, a simple job is quickly becoming several major pain in *ass > type jobs... > While I ponder options on the trans mount issue, I tackled the torn outer > CV boot. Pulled the axle, removed the circlip, and went to whack the CV > off shaft. It moved about 2mm, then refused to go any further. I know > Bentley shows are press for this, but I've done them before without a > press. Any ideas on how to coax this thing off the shaft? I thought of trying > a plumbers torch, but I'm out of gas. Should I just give up and take the > axle to a shop?