Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:21:16 -0700
From:         Roger Donahe <rdonahe@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Mystery part - what is this thing?
Comments: To: laurasdog@weirdstuffwemake.com

Hey thanks Steve.

I'm getting 13.75 or so volts at the primary battery when running, and 13.03 at the secondary. Is this sufficient for recharge? It has been so far but I've only had the van for a month.

So if I want to leave the isolator in place, and get that secondary battery to power my house lights, do I run a lead from the secondary battery terminal on the isolator to the fusebox behind the drivers seat? Or simply from the positive terminal on the secondary battery? I'm guessing I can run it directly from the secondary battery as the isolator should be only for the charging system. Am I understanding this setup correctly?

-Roger

-----Original Message----- From: laurasdog@weirdstuffwemake.com [mailto:laurasdog@weirdstuffwemake.com] Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 6:43 PM To: Roger Donahe Subject: Re: Mystery part - what is this thing?

At 06:01 PM 9/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>http://rodo.shacknet.nu/pix/2003_09_20/118_1867.jpg >http://rodo.shacknet.nu/pix/2003_09_20/118_1870.jpg ><snip>

It's a battery isolator. It's basically 2 large diodes, connected anode to anode.

Typically one terminal goes to the charging system (output of alternator), one terminal goes to the main battery and one goes to the 2nd (house) battery. It allows the alternator to charge BOTH batteries, but keeps the batteries isolated from each other.

It's used in place of the "charging relay" that's typically used in Westy's. The main problem with the battery isolators is that they introduce an aproximately 0.7 volt drop in the charging voltage which is bad because the output voltage of the Vanagon alternator borders on being to low already.

This can be cured by adding an external voltage regulator to the stock Bosch alternator.

If you are willing to modify your alternator for a higher charging voltage, then you should you the battery isolator, which is superior in several ways to using a relay.

If you don't want to mod your alternator, then use the relay setup and remove the battery isolator...

Steve EJ22 -> '86 Westy "Escape Pod"