Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:19:06 +0100
From:         Timothy Lee Harrison <tim@HARRISONLAND.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Am stuck in a wheel chair (not a funny post and its not
              friday...)

On Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 12:15, you wrote:

> Helmet laws.....another good one. Chris I think you missed the point > about helmets. With out one, you do not need major head injury, > you simplly get killed!!!. With a helmet, there is a good chance you > will live, but break your back and be unable to move the rest of your > life. I've seen this frist hand.......................... > Eric

Erm...Eric: You *are* joking, aren't you? If not, I think *you* miss the point. Even a most minor fall from the bike can result in head trauma without a helmet. If it were a case of:

1 live without movement, in a wheelchair, dependant on others to wash you in the morning, clean you up after using the toilet, put you to bed...

or

2 simply get killed

I know which one I'd choose. However, that is not the choice. A relatively minor head injury can leave you with recurrent seizures, persistent migraines, forgetfulness, change of personality etc. You can also end up with hemiplegia, neuralgia, neuroplegia...

When post-traumatic symptoms occur, these are far more likely than instant death. *Now* answer me, which would you prefer? I know my answer - I work in health care and have seen many motorcyclists walk away from accidents *because* they were wearing a helmet.

Also, have you ever seen how much skin will be removed from your body in a minor slide, say from 15mph? The helmet protects your head against abrasive damage, your hands will be ripped to shreds. There's more to it that just impact protection - that's why you would be far wiser to wear good quality leathers as well. The choice is obviously the individual's. Some make a wiser choice than others.

Your argument is far too simplistic. -- Tim PGP Key ID: 525e6a47 Available from http://pgp.mit.edu