Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:27:59 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Am stuck in a wheel chair (not a funny post and its not
              friday...)

First, thanks to you all for the good words, i sincerely appreciate those, even if my post was not to get attention but to create awareness.

Also, am not trying to create a new polemic or neither see you guys arguing,

you're a fine gang and stay tight as a group!

Am still in shock after reading John story... I know some horror story too, this is the worse I ever heard.

I have a few comments a bout your post to me personally and here on this fine forum.

1) About the helmet!!! I like Ron phrase: >>>The world is full of dangerous things and we each decide what risks we will take for what rewards. I am unwilling to give up this freedom to the government<<<

I would agree with the first part, but am happy that our government made the

helmet law mandatory, because I wouldn't wear one otherwise, so, I have to conclude that they save my life!

Here in Canada it's mandatory! So we don't have a choice, when i drive in Main or NH (USA), I do remove my helmet just for the sake of being able to feel the wind in my hair, I could call that freedom... and stupidity at the same time!!! But like Ron said; We each decide what risks we will take for what rewards. Before I use to say to my family; if I die piloting an airplane or driving a

bike, don't worry, I will die in peace and happy. But, I didn't really taught about being paralyse forever (still learning at 37)!!!! Forcing my close relative to having the burden of taking care of me for the rest of my life, and my government paying for my stupidity for the remaining of my sad life. OK, now, let me tell you about the Quebec registration plate system, $340 CAD ($245USD) per year for a motorcycle, about $225CAD(160US) for a car. I don't know about other provinces or states but if I get paralyse after an accident the insurance included in the $340 will cover my salary, hospital treatment, medication for the rest of my SAD life (we also need a supplementary insurance to cover "goods"). That said; forget about money for

a moment!!! I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A SAD LIFE SITTING IN MY BED BEING PARALYSE FROM THE NECK DOWN AND BEING A BURDEN TO MY FAMILY, but, I like to drive motorcycle, so what do I do!!! What are my options here if I want to have a bit of fun in my remaining years on this planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wearing a helmet, leather clothes and being careful like crazy, that what kept me safe for 20 years, until now?

And last but not least, my helmet save my life last Friday!!!! My left shoulder and my left side helmet hit the car first... at the same time, in other words, if I had no helmet, my shoulder would have hit first and my HEAD after... do you need a picture of the damage helmet (who was out of date by the way)

Am not a very religious person, and am not sure about afterlife or something

like that, so for me, Life is all about pleasure, fun, camaraderie, friendship and passion in this life, right now, every day. (Don't get me wrong! I will be glad if there is another one...)

2) >>>For years now, I have believed that there should be different classes of drivers licenses. Maybe a scale of 1 thru 10<<<

I totally agree! # 1 should pay 1500$ for is registration, could only drive to work, daytime. Driver course and exam should be as hard as our airplane pilot licence. That would be a very good beginning = less stupid people on

the road and for sure less accident. Some stuff make me laugh, here in Quebec, a first year motorcycle driver as a temporary drivers licence, he cannot drive alone, he need to drive with another more experience driver (second bike) for one year (in our case, one summer). Before, he could only drive a -400cc bike (this law is now gone) for the first 2 years (but of course, motorcycle company’s made that law disappear!!!!), so in other words, this young fellow can have is temporary driver licence, not drive at all for one year (no one is checking), buy a Suzuki GSX-1300cc 180hp the next years, kill himself at 220mph, or worse be paralyse for life and we (every driving citizen) will pay for is expenses on

our annual driver licence fee, the only good thing is that the private insurance(mandatory) are very expensive for a new & youg driver driving a sport motorcycle. EX: 2001 Kawasaki ZX-600, plate $340, insurance fully covered (mandatory for new bike) about 2500$ CAD (1700USD), antitheft system, 500$, so to put a $6000CAD bike on the road it will cost a new and young driver over 3000$, that enough to discourage most young drivers.

Being a airplane pilot for ten years with 500 hours and a motorcycle driver for 20 years, I have developed a sixth sense, I consider myself to be well above the average car/van/truck driver... still, am sitting in a wheel chair

today. I don't want to think about the average driver qualification out there, even worse, those very poor driver that filled our street.. Scary stuff.

To conclude this very long post here is a small story and conclusion at the same time: When I was 18, car accident, I was not driving. We hit a light post in the middle of a boulevard on Christmas eve (snowy condition), I went

through the windshield! My girlfriend at the time had both legs severed (50%) at the knee, she was stuck in the car for 3 hours, I had head injury and I had to wear the metal head holder (screwed into you upper chess, sorry

for my English here) for a severe head and neck injury for 2 months, had a broken knee and elbow, broken jaw and many teeth where broken. So in my book, a car or a bike can give very bad injuries.

I was not wearing a seatbelt! No need, I was so close to home!!!

Neither if you drive a motorcycle (with helmet), a car (with seatbelt) or in

our case a 20/30 years old VW westy camper (in my case a 73 with NO front end protection at all), it's a risk, a calculate risk, life is full of it, for me, not taking any risk is not worth living!

Please, drive safe, be carefull, for you and the others.

Regards, Ben MSN Messenger: huotx@hotmail.com (Video $ sound) http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/