Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:57:02 -0700
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil: 10w30? 20w50?

WEsley, I agree with most of what John is saying re: oil choices. If cold starting is your issue, you should use a engine block heater, for the vans the easiest is an adhesive pad style that should be readily available in your area. Any time that it is below 20 degrees your engine and the atmosphere will benefit from using a block heater, the closer to operating temp. the engine is when it is started the better.

With that said I disagree with the need for as heavy a weight oil in the cold months. While it is true that your engine will still reach normal operating temperature in the winter, it is not going to see the extreme heat and abuse that it does when it is 100 degrees and your are loaded with gear for camping, etc. Even if you did load up the van and work it hard, if it is -20 degrees outside you will have a cooling effect from this. You can safely run an oil rated around 10W-30 for the winter, especially if it is synthetic.

For the best protection for your engine and tranmission, use synthetic lubricants, assuming of course that you do not have any major leaks. Synthetic motor oil will pour at lower temps. than petroleum while providing superior protection for the heat and stresses of summer driving. The same is true of the transmission oil, whether you have an automatic or manual your trans. will work better with synthetics. Another advantage to to synthetics is longevity, you do not need to change your oil as often, though you should change the filter and top off at the normal interval.

Mark 34 years and counting in AK (twenty of them spent in the automobile industry + 34 years exposure to the aviation indusrty through my father, a now retired A & P)

Wesley, the main reason for keeping the heavier oil throughout the year is that the engine lives at temperature most of it active life, not at starting temperature. When the engine is hot..... even in winter, the engine needs an oil of a certain viscosity. A thinner, lighter weight oil just aids in reducing starting friction. After it warms up, the thicker viscosity oil required by the specifications of the engine is needed.

I lived in Alaska for many years, and once I understood about engines and "Operating Temperature" I never change oils to a winter grade vs summer grade after that. In winter, once the engine was at "Operating temperature" it needed the oil it needed.

I used to be a bush pilot up there. In the old days engines often used straight 50 weight oil. On a cold day, that oil was so stiff, the you could do chinups on the propeller and the engine would not budge. But if the engine was warm, that was another story. So, how to thin the oil, yet have the right lubrication at temperature. Why, how about adding gasoline to the engine oil???

That is right. There was no way on a cold day that you were going to start the engine with 50 wt oil. That thick heavy oil when cold locked the engine and it wouldn't even turn over, much less start. But, if you added a prescribed amount of gasoline to the oil, per the manufacturers chart they provided, then the oil would be thin enought to allow starting, then as the engine warmed, the gasoline would be boiled or evaporated off from the oil, bring the oil back to the correct viscosity for normal operations at normal operating temperatures.

BTW, those charts prescribed adding gasoline to the oil while the engine was running at an idle. You checked the expected temperature, then using the chart, held the fuel button down for so many seconds or pumped the plunger so many striokes according to the anticipated temperature, to add the gasoline to the oil.

As regards to tranny fluid......switch to redline MT 90 for the manual tranny. I did. It makes shifting a bunch easier. I also run 15W50 Mobil 1 Synthetic year round now as my engine oil. It virtually stopped the little oil consumption I have had.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL driver