Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:15:52 -0400
From:         "Rob S." <iH8myISP@SUSCOM.NET>
Subject:      Re: cell phones cross country
Comments: To: Sglw@aol.com

unless you can convince the local truckers to call you to alert you of

traffic jams, good places to eat, shortcuts, and girls in low cut tank tops...

CB is more like a chatroom on the highway. truckers warn each other of road hazards, speed traps, etc...

I've avoided hitting several hunks of debris in the highway because truckers alerted each other..

"there's a big hunk of truck tire in the passing lane just past the 48

mile marker"

of course they say it like this:

"there's a gator in the go-fast lane past the 48 yard stick"

it's entertaining and useful.

"this rain storm is only about 5 miles, you'll be in the clear by the

time you hit Amarillo"

"watch out up on 81 around Richmond, big truck flipped and dumped a haz mat load last night. they're still cleaning it up. Take 51 and 581 to get around it"

and my personal favorite...

"check out the girl in that little red Honda, she sure knows how to wear a seatbelt..."

if you can borrow one, or pick up a cheap one it's a good thing. I got a $20 clamp-on antenna from a truck stop, and used an old CB I got

from a flea market years ago. I think wal-mart sells a few CBs. i've really noticed no difference between old/new and cheap/expensive.

it's more in the length and placement of the antenna.

cell phone is nice if you break down, but CB is great for finding out

why you are sitting in a standstill, and how long it will last, and what lane to be in to get around it.