Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:31:47 -0400
From:         robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Stereo Question - Looking for answers from people

I posted this earlier this week but only had one response. I am looking to upgrade the Stock Stereo this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I have an 89 Carat with Power Windows. I want to replace the Car Stereo and the speaker system.

I have never purchased a car stereo or speakers before but have purchased many stereoıs so I assume itıs a similar process?

I was told by the guys over at Van-again that if you have power windows that you can only replace the existing 4² speakers that are there and cannot add lower 6x9 or smaller units in the lower door housing. Is this true? They sell an after market regulator and motor kit for $140 that would allow for large speakers.

My goal is to get a crisp sound spectrum with a rich depth of sound, meaning good highıs, tight midrange, and deep bass while driving at 75mph with the windows open.

Ideally it would be great to get the front and back sounding great but at this moment I am mostly concerned about the driverıs section of the van.

I would like to spend no more than $700 for all the stereo units, and installation.

It would be great to get some 6x9ıs in the front and back with a 1 or 2 small 8² subıs. I had thought of putting the 6x9ıs in the lower portion of the front door panels by cutting into the door, and the rear in a bored out area where the rear stock units are mounted in the top a/c housing off the roof line or possibly on the left and right of the bench seat heater core with 1 or 2 8² subs and small power amp under the passenger seat.

A friend suggested putting some front 6x9² units in an enclosed box directly in front the passenger seats on the floor and keep them with a long wire to move them outside of the van if you have a little party or picnic. I thought this was an interesting idea, whatıs your thoughts? It would allow me to install the stereo pretty stock in the front and still get good sound.

I was looking into the SONY CDX-L410X $129 with the Sony RM-X114 Wireless Remote Control $30 for the radio unit.

If I have to keep the 4² speakers I was looking into the infinity Kappa 42.5i  4" 2-way Speakers € 2-50W RMS power range $120 for a pair

Large Speakers I was looking at: Infinity Kappa 63.5i 6-1/2" 3-way Speakers $200 Per Pair Kenwood KFC-1387 5-1/4" Speakers $70 Per Pair Kenwood KFC-1389ie 5-1/4" 3-way Speakers $90 Per Pair

Subs: Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d 10" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer $190 Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1025dB 10" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer $190 Rockford Fosgate HE2 RFP4208 8" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Component Subwoofer $130

Have no idea on the power amps, any suggestions?

Where is the best type of place to the install? A pro shop? A private person? Best place to buy? I am in NYC, all that is here in the city is placed to buy and private guys that install. I could go to Long Island where they have audio shops, but should it be a chain? If so which one?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Robert NYC 89 Auto Carat ­ Power Windows