Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:26:03 -0400
From:         "Walker, Phil" <Phil.Walker@BROOKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Extra Headlight Question + Driving Lights?
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Joel,

Thanks for the information. This is good stuff...I hope you don't mind but I forwarded it to the list for future reference.

I wonder, what is a better solution: getting a set of auxiliary lows (like the Hella XL's) or going with the E code rectangular. Has anyone done both and has a comparison opinion?

-Phil

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Walker [mailto:jwalker17@earthlink.net] Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 7:27 AM To: Walker, Phil Subject: Re: Extra Headlight Question + Driving Lights?

> (Big $$$), I was wondering the possibility of mounting some Hellas on/above > the front bumper that would be connected to the low beams. Is there any > reason why this would not be possible or legal? I would think it would be > just like have fog lights. I'm not a lighting expert, but I would imagine > you can buy extra lights with whatever pattern you want. Offroad truck guys > have lights mounted all over the place. Has anyone done this?

you can get two types for extra light on low beams ... - fog lights (low, wide beam) ... bosch, hella, cibie, and others make these. - auxilliary lights (low, wide, but more like low beam headlights than fog lights). hella makes these.

then you have a choice of style. there are round ones, square ones, rectangular ones, and those dufus 'projector' ones that you see on all the cars with big wheels and wings on the back. :) as far as i can see, you're much better off with a name brand, like Hella or Cibie (i don't like Bosch lights ... tried some and they had a very weird pattern ... just a thin line of light) and choose either round or rectangular. i really really like my Cibie Oscar Plus fog lights. but they are huge .. 7 inches in diameter. :) same size as the 80-85 round headlights on the vanagons. but they put out light in a low wide beam that goes out about 600 feet. really. and they go way out to the sides, much more than normal low beam headlights. Hella makes some good ones, too, that are not as big and do almost as well. and are probably a lot cheaper. the cibie's aren't exactly cheap. :( but you want to mount them on TOP of your bumper ... don't even think about putting them under the bumper. i lost two sets of fog lights before i finally figured out it wasn't gonna work. be sure you do not block the airflow to the radiator, too. i put mine between the radiator lower grill and the turn signals.

be SURE to wire the fog/aux lights up with a relay!!!

> Another question: When people refer to driving lights are they talking about > the highs, the lows, or something different? I've heard this term but never > really paid enough attention to the context to understand the meaning.

driving lights, traditionally, are for looooong distance seeing down a straight road. so they would be used only with high beam headlights. they are mounted as high as you can get them on the vehicle ... for off roading, this is on top of the jeep or whatever. higher means you can see farther. driving lights have a very narrow but powerful beam ... they are intended usually to light up only the lane you are in, but for maybe 2000 or 3000 feet. i have some on one bus that are rated at 6000 feet. useless. yeah, you can actually see the next mile marker on the interstate, when i have them on, but they are so bright that there is never any place to use them ... too much traffic on the roads. now, if i ever go down to baja california at night, i'm ready! ;)

what is legal is fog lights come on with low beams and go off with high beams; driving lights come on with high beams and go off with low beams. what i did was to wire the fog lights into the parking lights (instead of the low beams). that way, if it's really rainy or foggy, i can turn on only the parking lights and fog lights (separate switch) and i can see a lot better ... not nearly as much glare coming back into the windshield. this is very helpful in dense fog or blowing snow (learned that in chicago!). but if i turn on the low beams, then the fog lights will stay on when i go to high beams, and technically, this isn't legal. so i have to be careful to turn the fog lights off if i go to high beams. but i figured, if i need high beams, i don't need the fog lights anyway. :)

good luck! joel