Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:07:19 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      VERY low power
Comments: cc: stratmanx@YAHOO.COM

Mark it is not polite to mention names until the unnamed needs to be named. I would start with a compression check. Give us the numbers when you get them. later, gary Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:53:29 -0400 From: Mark Carrig <stratmanx@YAHOO.COM> Subject: VERY low power on new Boston Bob 1.9

Good morning all.

I have an '85 Vanagon GL that I have just put a brand new Boston Bob 1.9 in it.

Long story short, I have extremely low power delivery. Can't pull 2nd gear up any hills, and just feels VERY anemic.

I've set my timing as per Bentley, and the posts I've found on the discussion groups, but did notice that the distrobutor shaft on the new motor is not lining up exactly as per Bentley, but looks to be a few degree's to the left of the lineup mark, when cyl #1 is at TDC, which in turn has me compensate the timing probably 10 additional degree's advanced (Turning distributor to the left)

The motor then runs very smooth and absoultly purs.

My plug wires are connected as such: Picture the distributor cap as a clock, #1 plug is on the 1 o'clock distributor post, #4 plug is on the 5 o'clock, #3 is on the 7 o'clock, and #2 is on the 11 o'clock.

And I know before I call Bob I need to go thru the entire checkout of the F.I. system as per Bentley, and make sure all my readings and voltages are proper. (Because I know the first question he will ask me is if I have done that yet !!!<LOL>)

I have a new fuel prssure regulator, new O2 sensor, waterpump, thermostat, distributor cap and rotor, new plugs and wires, etc.

Folks, I'm lost !!!

What am I missing ?