Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:44:52 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurocars 2.2L Engine - another catastrophic failure
Comments: To: roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM

Mr Roadhaus ,

I have been there many times. Then it was the aircooled flat fours I always had attached to my vehicles. For you it's the glorified flat -four- but it's still a flat four.

As long as the rod did'nt punch a hole in the piston-sounds like you lucked out.

While your WBX engine is being reinvented with you as the test driver maybe you should have a sign on your Vanagon that reads "experimental".

I have been here before- I went thru three air cooled engines, all brand new , from 1990-1995, and after fifteen years too many I gave up on the flat-four air -cooled engine.

looks like you are approaching the same thinking with the WBX.

The reason I went with a inline-four VW engine is they have over 25 years of proven reliability, power, fuel economy, and practicality.

I have been driving with a inline four 8 years. I know a few shops that do conversions if you are interested.

Ken has spent a lot of time trying to perfect the WBX. I think it's a dead end. I don't think there will be the support it needs like the air-cooleds still enjoy in parts and service.

Most shops hate the WBX I talk to . I am almost a celebrity at some places- the crew all come out to see my engine. Nothing as impressive a SVX- OK , so you want to stay VW?

If you were to convert to a Audi V-6- now you might start a movement with one of those in Roadhaus.

With a '93 -later VW engine you also get the on-board diagnostics. Imagine looking at your engine stastistics in real-time on your lap-top!

There's actually a fair amount of choices- don't limit yourself to the WBX- the horizontally -opposed engine.

Go vertical!

Robert K

1982 Westfalia 115 hp Golf lll engine

----Original Message Follows---- From: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> Reply-To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Eurocars 2.2L Engine - another catastrophic failure Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:27:12 -0700

Volks,

I have had another failure with the Eurocars 2.2L Revision "E" engine

The RoadHaus was at Competition Egr here in PHX for A/C repair and a Transmission leak.

Picked her up and got 10 miles before catastrophe.

As I was tooling down the freeway at 65 mph ... she suddenly lost power. Glanced over and noticed the High Temp Red LED was on "solid".

Shut her down and found coolant boiling and lots of oil on the ground.

Back to the shop on a flatbed she went.

After tear down we found that the number one piston had failed.

BTW .... Dan Larson owner of Competition Egr is working on the engine now. Has an awful lot of experience building Vee Dub racing engines ... so hopefully I'm in good hands.

Surprisingly I was able to contact Ken Morgan of Eurocars and get "the last set of 2.2L Revision "E" pistons" in existence sent out via Overnight Fed-Ex.

Over the phone Ken stated that the pistons he was sending had a slight design change from the ones currently in my engine.

The difference "supposedly" .... he moved the ring position down lower to create more mass at the top.

However .... based on a visual inspection upon receipt .... they look identical to the old ones with the exception of some weird slots in the top.

The slots concern me as a potential weak point in a high stress area.

But other than a complete engine rebuild ... it's the only option at this time.

With any luck ... RoadHaus will be back on the road by tomorrow.

After a couple of hundred test miles I'll resume my"North American Roadtrip" with an engine I have no confidence in.

As you are driving down the highway ..... please occasionally glance to the side of the road.

You may see me with a portable blender making Margaritas as I wait for the next tow truck :)

Stop by for a refreshing libation.

Here's a link to pictures of the failed piston and one of the new "redesigned" replacement pistons.

http://www.roadhaus.com/images/Eurocars%202.2L%20Engine/Sept%202003%20Fa ilure/index.htm

P/S,

One of the future engine options I'm considering is the 2.4L engine being marketed by Go Westy. If anyone has "direct" experience with this engine .... please contact me.

"Don't let your Dreams be Dreams." - Jack Johnson

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: <http://www.roadhaus.com/> www.RoadHaus.com Cell: 480 620 8966 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Arizona

_________________________________________________________________ High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com