Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:26:14 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: shuddering clutch
Comments: To: "Scott W." <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

On 26 Sep 2003 at 10:35, Scott W. <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> I am just wondering what the list might think is > going on with my clutch. sometimes when I am letting > it out, the whole back end of the van just starts > shuddering, until I let the clutch slip a bit and then > it will stop, this all happens pretty quick. > So I am thinking I need to replace the clutch and > have the flywheel machined. Would I be correct in > thinking this? I have read something about that in the > archives. > other times, like just now coming back from lunch, it > did not show these symtoms. I would have thought it > would be fairly consistant. > another question would be, how do you guys lower the > tranny on a hydraulic jack without the thing just > falling off the jack? it looks pretty heavy to me and > I would think it not good to just fall off on the > ground....thanks for any help with these questions

I just put my tranny back in tonight, on my own with a floor jack under it, and a bottle jack under the engine. The tranny will balance reasonably well on a floor jack, but I would recommend a helper if it's your first time, even if they just control the jack while you steady the trans. The first time I did it, on my own also, I dropped the transmission on my chest, which was not very comfortable, nor easy to remove when you're under the van. It's not a difficult job by any means, but is best done when you can afford to have a few days without the van. This was you can check everything, and allow for getting any additional parts you may need without rushing the job. Mine was shuddering, caused by a rear main seal leak soaking the clutch in oil. I replaced just the disc, since I know the other parts have fairly low mileage, and looked fine. But you will likely need the following:

clutch disc pressure plate release bearing (above in "kit") flywheel machining (maybe)

rear main seal flyhweel o-ring pilot bearing (these are cheap, and should be done while you're there, even if not leaking, and the p/b is a common failure item). might need clutch shaft bushings, mine were getting a bit loose, but I let it go.

the flywheel bolts are stretch type that some say should be replaced, although the Bentley does not explicitly say so. I've had it off twice and not replaced them, and it's not been a problem.

Plan to repack your CVs while you're there, so get some grease. Check the boots carefully before starting, if any show cracks, replace now to avoid hassle later. Clean CV bolt heads thoroughly before trying to loosen, then tap socket (6mm hex, or 8mm 12point triple square, possibly a mix of both) in before applying torque. They are not that tight, but can strip easily if the socket is not seated well. You might want to buy a few spare CV bolts just in case.

The trans went on surprisingly well tonight. It pays to line it up on the bottom studs, then look from above and beside to ensure engine and trans are lined up, adjust with jacks if not. It can be hard to tell from below if they're not, and slide together very nicely when straight, but resist stubbornly if not. (btdt).

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"