Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:53:30 -0400
From:         Andrew Silliker <silliker@CYNICAL.NET>
Subject:      Escape Wagen issues/question.

Hi Volks.

Since I've been home I've been tinkering with the 89 Westy I bought, and have fixed a number of things so far. I've repaired the cruise control, power windows, installed a new stereo, headlight relay kit, and changed the oil after my x-country trip. This was a one owner van, and the PO has passed, so I can't really get a history out of him. He does have significant notes and pricing, but they don't show the resolution to his complaints.

Here are the current issues I'm working on:

A) hesitation from full stop B) hot transmission issues C) opening the PS reservoir

A) I read through the full archives with a search on both hesitation and O2, so I pulled a lot of info out of there. With the O2 sensor disconnected, I do not have the hesitation from stop. I tested the sensor wire from the ECU w/ OXS disconnected, and it is running at .502V, so that seems good. With the O2 sensor connected, I see the cycling reading but it is bouncing from .8 to .2V. From the archive readings I think I was expecting to see a much tighter range of values centered around .5V. Does this mean that my O2 sensor sould be replaced, or are there other areas that I should be looking at? I have the sensor disconnected for now, but I'd like to get this repaired.

B) When my transmission is hot, there is a delay when shifting from a forward gear into reverse. This does not exist when the transmission is cool. There is also sometimes a delay when moving from P to D (1st) after restarting the hot van. This symptom does not exist from a cold start, either. There is no burnt smell from the transmission fluid, but I don't really know when it was last changed. This is on my to-do list, and I also have a new screen for it as well. Will a fluid/filter change cure this, or is this a more significant issue?

C) The fluid in the PS reservior is approaching the min mark. I was going to replace the filter and top up the fluid, but I can't for the life of me open either the reservoir or the fill hole. Anyone have any hints here? I don't want to bust the reservoir.

Any assistance on these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew -- 89 Westy Escape Wagen