Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:43:09 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      COW Fall Campout  Oct 17-18-19
Comments: To: Jonathan Cooper <jrcooper@bqmlaw.com>,
          Tom & Kathy Kern <tomkat3@msn.com>,
          "Warner, Jeff (DSIO)" <Jeff.Warner@dla.mil>,
          Mark Butcher <butchermt@ameritech.net>, Jkpvw <Jkpvw@aol.com>,
          Jeff & Jennifer Warner <jwarner6@columbus.rr.com>,
          Greg Stelz <gstelz2@yahoo.com>,
          tom and judy diley <vwthree@prodigy.net>,
          frank biffath <fbiffath@mailingsolutions.com>,
          greg kessler <kessler@ohio.edu>,
          todd guttman <tguttman@columbus.rr.com>,
          liz maher <maher@maherconsulting.com>,
          bob o'shaughnessy <vanagon@columbus.rr.com>,
          tom hubbard <hubbard.1@osu.edu>,
          chuck & pam baird <westyman71@yahoo.com>

Happy Campers: Well, it's a bit of a change of pace, but Central Ohio Westies are going to be leaving the state for our next outing. Destination: Carter Caves SP, KY. See: > http://www.state.ky.us/agencies/parks/cartcave.htm#lodge

Please note that there are 80 plus improved sites with water and electricity... so bring your plug-in box heaters and/or fans depending on the whims of the Weather Gods for that weekend. The Fall colors should be in mid splendor and the drive WILL be spectacular!

We will meet up for an overnight at my cabin (p-mail for directions) just West of Chillicothe on Friday evening. Bring your own firewood or bungee cords to load up your luggage rack with my wood. On Saturday AM we will caraVan down to Carter County, KY (about 2hours). This is our first attempt at caraVanning in three years... it should be fun! The road South from the Ohio River is twisting and turning, so even you airheads and diesel head(s) should have no problems keeping up. If you haven't camped with us before, we are (generally) quiet and family oriented. Come join us... you just might enjoy yourselves. Saturday evening meal will be normal chili* or vegetable soup (depending on which I want to fix) and everyone else can add their side-dishes/favorites. We'll try to squeeze two vans per site; if so then the fees will be $10 per van, otherwise $20... not sure how KY SPs deal with that... we'll work it out though. BTW, like Ohio, all KY SPs are alcohol-free, so bring your red cups.

A special note for Carter Caves: Bring a hard hat (or bike helmet), a flashlight for each person (I NEVER go into a cave without two (2) light sources), and a change of clothes for apres-Cave. Spencer and Trevor with their Moms can expect to go about 100 feet in (walking) and then return to the light for a walk/stroller ride over the Karst topography near the road or to the unique natural bridge near the park office/store. I have been spelunking these caves for over thirty years and continue to enjoy their recesses. I can make this outing as adventurous or as mild as the company chooses. A reminder for the weather is that the caves retain that wonderfully reliable temp of 56º F and are dry unless there's been lots of early week rain.

FWIW, Colleen and I just returned from a great 500 mile, four day jog in our '87 Westy through Central and Eastern KY as a precursor to the COW trip. All I can say is I hope COW can duplicate the weather and the positive vibes. It was utterly relaxing and trouble-free! We enjoyed Cave Run USPS, Red River Gorge USFS, Natural Bridge and Jenny Wiley SPs. We were, once again, AMAZED at the number of veteran campers in the parks that drove/ walked/golfcarted by and had never SEEN a Westfalia popped and in full regalia! It just serves to remind us of how blessed we are to know and appreciate the VW Vanagon camper for what it is... the ultimate German-made camper after thirty plus years of refinement.

Once again, please join us for a welcome, weekend retreat from the "normal" world. -- Stephen Reluctant Header Upper of COW

*My firehouse chili will be optional for you non-hackers.