Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:14:38 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: fan switch or sensor
Comments: To: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

Why not buy the new parts, and keep them as a spare??

From my experience with Vanagons, I'd say "If it isn't broken... don't fix it".

If it does someday break, it will most likely be due to the giant green resistor behind the drivers side front headlamp housing (PN 251 971 284 E).

The part you mention is a temp sensor and a switch. It has a temperature sensor in contact with the coolant at the front of the radiator, and determines whether to switch the fan on at low speed, or high speed.

You mention that you have A/C and that makes your electrical a bit more complicated, as the circuit is set up to run the high speed fan whenever the A/C compressor works too hard. This means that there is an extra relay I believe and a few extra wires involved.

If you are creative, an interesting add-on solution (which I and many other listmembers have made) is to build in a switch on the dash, whereby you can manually control the high speed radiator fan. If you are seeing that temp gauge rising, and want to give your engine some cooling, you can flip it on. This also helps if your resistor ever fails, because you then can still have high speed fan manually when you want it.

If you are paranoid about your head gaskets, you can also run the high speed fan for a few minutes after you stop driving on the highway, and then leave it on for a few after the car is off. Apparently the engine gets the hottest right after you stop driving, and that added heat can be a strain on the heads. I was doing this for awhile, but the noise of the high speed fan was just way too crazy to leave it on for any significant amount of time.

Good luck with your project!

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf