Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:03:13 -0400
From:         Tim Beidel <tbeidel@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Headlight Switch and Stereo Speaker Wiring

I've got an '87 Syncro Westy, purchased in the past two months, and have a couple of questions that I was unable to clear up after browsing the archives...

1. Late in the trip home to Maine from Oregon, the headlight switch failed. (The high-beam flash worked when I pulled the stalk, so I was able to limp home<g>.)

I ordered a new switch from vanagain.com after determining from several vendors that the part I needed was 251-941-531M. However, after pulling out the old switch today, the part number was 251-941-531K.

Question: Is there a difference between the 251-941-531K that was in the van and the 251-941-531M that I ordered?

The good news: When I put the old switch back in, the headlights worked.

2. I've seen lots of posts about the Vanagon stereo speakers using the same rear grounding wire. The aftermarket stereo that came with the car puts out barely anything through the right speakers (just a hint of sound in both the front and rear right, like bleed-through), and I decided that this all made sense: the amp in the stereo got fried because the rear speakers shared the same ground.

However, anticipating the painful attempt to run new wires through the correct routing, I took the glove box off. Lo and behold, the harness had four wires, with colors that map to the Bentley diagram for my year. The notation for this scheme does not mention amplified rear speakers; however, the wiring scheme does not look different (other than colors of the wires) for the subsequent model that included amplified rear speakers.

Question: The stereo I bought is 50w max through four speakers. Am I good to go in terms of hooking it up to the existing wires?

Thanks to all - this is a great list,

Tim Beidel South Portland, ME '87 Syncro Westfalia