Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 2003 00:03:56 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane Fueled Turbo Diesel Injection
Comments: To: mst@AK.NET

Mass transit and walking- I did this all day last Monday from 10:00 am til 4:30 PM. I walked four miles and rode the bus 20. Just looking for a needed engine part. It made me appreciate my Westfalia more than ever.

But I was glad there was a bus . I have been stranded in the backcountry for days. This time I was stranded in Tacoma. From now on the bicycle stays on the rack. I also ran out of gas on my motorcycle next to the Seattle Metro bus service garage this week.

The helpful mechanics there gave me a gallon of gas. No way was that gas evil.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- Americans, myself included are too spoiled when it come to transportation, we want it now, and we want it on our terms. You left off the best options, walk, ride your bike, or(gasp) mass transit. Many people live where at least one of these or other options exist. Automobiles can run on propane, natural gas, or even vegetable oil(diesels), or we can park our cars more and take the bus,train, bike, walk, etc. Some places would have to redesign how the city is layed out, other just need minor tweaking. For example, Seattle has a wonderful bus system, the one here in Anchorage sucks! There are many variables, options and opinions on this subject, I for one would love to see us as a country embrace more mass transit, redesigned cities, and alternative fuel options. Which will work best in a given area of the country is dependent upon, climate, costs, and the willingness of the people to embrace the idea. Fossil fuels are a necessary evil today, but that does not mean that we can' t make them more environmentally friendly until the next generation of fuels come into use.

Mark 87 Westy Syncro Cannondale H300

<<opinions?>>

Yes. First Diesels in cars and trucks were poorly engineered. So everyone converted them to gasoline.

Then gasoline prices went up. Diesel engines became better engineered.

Everyone started switching to Diesel.

Then the Diesel price went up higher than gasoline.

Now everyone wants to switch to propane.

Of course you know the rest- supply and demand will drive up the price of propane.

Finally there will be no cheap fuel-supply and demand we are told.

We may be able to install a mast and sails out on the open highway -wind is still free.

But then someone will find a way to regulate wind. Wind hours per mile.

Robert

1982 Westsalia

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ Instant message during games with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com