Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:35:58 +0100
From:         Timothy Lee Harrison <tim@HARRISONLAND.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Helmet laws

Incidentally, you snipped the attribution from your post, and I can't remember whose the post was you quoted. Anyway...

On Thursday 25 Sep 2003 12:49, Ron Tipton wrote:

> Of course, the reason is cost saving. However, once we accept the > principle that cost savings is a legitimate reason for the government to > take freedom from us what's to keep that same government from using that > principle to take other freedoms? Perhaps a law requiring an hour of > exercise per day? Or maybe outlawing meat? Or outlawing motorcycles? > Or outlawing driving all together - after all public transportation is > cheaper? Maybe we should require at least six people to live in each > house - it would save money on energy if there were less empty space to > light/heat/cool. The principle can be used for complete control of all > aspects of our lives.

You know that thing... erm... what do they call it? Oh, yes: democracy. It's the people that decide who governs them, isn't it? Excuse my sarcasm, but I can't resist when the examples you quote are so ridiculous and borne by paranoia. I'll paraphrase what I wrote in the original thread:

I simply don't buy this "personal liberties" argument. Along with personal liberties and freedoms come personal responsibilities. If you want the full personal liberty to wear or not wear a safety belt (Vanagon content, please note) you should have it. Just also accept the personal responsibily for your medical bill when you have an accident.

The fact is that most people would struggle to foot a bill running into hundreds of thousands, so they really don't have a choice. The "personal liberty" argument is void if for that reason only because we wouldn't let our fellow members of society go without treatment so desperatly needed. However, if our society will foot the bill for you, i.e. take responsibility for you, it's not unreasonable to a expect society to set out a few ground rules - and it is "society" which pays, not "the government". I'm sure those using this "personal liberties" argument would have no problems accepting medical treatment that they couldn't pay for themselves, so why is it such an issue to have conditions attached?

This is not a personal attack, I just *really* get fed up with these vague arguments that people like to quote in discussion which, in reality, they negate by acceptance of the provisions that the society they live in offer. If we're talking about our moral or social priciples, let's at least be consistent about it.

We're not talking about something stupid like a government that wants to forbid red shirts. We're talking about minimising the cost to society which is caused by accidents exacerbated by individual choices. I don't think it's unreasonable for those of us who pay for the damage to have a say in damage limitation. *That* is what being responsible is about. -- Tim PGP Key ID: 525e6a47 Available from http://pgp.mit.edu