Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:54:54 -0700
From:         JD Foster <jidd@JIDDWARE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange messages-- infected file

Tom,

You may be a sysadmin, but please don't assume that you are the only one on the list or that your "solution(s)" are the answer to everybody's problems. IMHO, your remarks on the subject come across (as many sysadmins do) as quite condescending. Not to mention off-topic.

I'm quite familiar with the behind-the-scene's work that goes into protecting networks. That, and I fully appreciate the end-user frustration of being a sysadmin. However, please find a nice BOFH mailing list to vent these frustrations in rather than taking it out on fellow listees who don't share your point of view.

FWIW, I very recently asked a number of mail server administrators in a newsgroup that I frequent exactly what e-mail client (windows platform) they personally use. The overwhelming (and my personal) favorite? Almost every single one of them choose Outlook Express. Yes, it has vulnerabilities. But its also (relatively) lightweight, ubiquitously available, user friendly, and supports most mail server configurations well (pop/imap/http/ssl).

No mail client worth a hill of beans is going to be completely immune from exploits. Features vs security is always *something* of a tradeoff (more code=more opportunity for mistakes). Granted, I think Outlook (not OE) is a bloated piece of poop, but for some users its more or less appropriate (not calling the user a bloated piece of poop :-)). OE, IMHO, is a fair balance between features (HTML e-mail, multiple account management, newsgroup access, etc..) and security, when used responsibly. While I've tried many other mail clients, I seem to always gravitate back to OE. I too fall into the camp of "have used OE for X years and haven't *ever* caught a virus." Call me ignorant as you have others if you wish, its really no sweat off my back.

Granted, by running my own mail server I can practice some security measures that most users don't have available to them, specifically server-side anti-virus scanning. However, the four biggest options available to every *user* that would make a difference are:

1. Current AV software (can't emphasize this enough) 2. A well configured firewall/brodband router 3. Judiciously not opening suspicious mail 4. Properly configuring *whatever* mail client you choose so as to realistically minimize your opportunity for infection while not significantly crippling your ability to USE the program.

Yeah, AV software isn't perfect, but it goes a LONG way towards closing vectors of attack. Same for firewalls. Finally, numbers 3 & 4 can best be addressed through user education (granted, no small feat!). It does take some thinking to recognize what shouldn't be opened just because its there. Additionally, vendors could do the world a huge favor and ship their products locked down, and notify users when/if they enable features that compromise security.

Just my 1.99999¢

For those who've stuck with it through this entire post, thanks. I've said what I have to say on the subject and will refrain from further cluttering the list with posts on this topic. If you have responses to this post that you wish to share with the list, that's up to you. However I will not comment on the subject except to questions/comments/remarks directed towards me and my response will be off-list. I'm happy to share whatever info/knowledge I may have on the matter via personal mail.

Cheers, JD

P.S. FWIW, there is IMHO a great collection of e-mail newsletters available for subscription at www.woodyswatch.com. They have excellent tutorials/informational-notices/etc... on general MS Windows stuff, MS Office, and a brand new newsletter specifically addressing e-mail usage and best practices. All written in such a way that you don't have to be a sysadmin to understand or benefit from them. I highly recommend them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "tom ring" <taring@TARING.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 7:25 PM Subject: Re: Strange messages-- infected file