Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:03:26 -0700
From:         Tom and Deb Runyon <runyon@THERIVER.COM>
Subject:      hard warm start for 87 Syncro

I'm experiencing some difficulties re-starting the engine on my 87 syncro after it has been driven awhile and shut off for a brief period (up to 15 minutes). I'm thinking that a have a bad temp. sensor (I or II?) but haven't had the chance to test it yet. Seems like a bad temp sensor would result in a rich mixture at start-up when it is no longer needed (since the engine is already warm). The only way to get it to start is to leave it alone for at least 15 minutes or step on the throttle (and this only barely works part of the time) thereby increasing the air:fuel ratio if my thinking is correct. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Runyon Sierra Vista, AZ 87 syncro 85 Westy undergoing renovation