Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:24:02 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Incredible Vanagon Reliability Story

Thanks for sharing this Larry. I too feel the Vanagon platform is quite reliable, given mileage on mine, and the type of use (abuse?) it gets (intermittent use, lots of very rough roads, lots of heavy loads). Of course I feel much better now that my long- lingering (5 years+) VS problems are gone, thanks to new solder joints on my ECU. Just returned from a weekend trip to Francis Lake, an idyllic spot about 2 hours away, which requires crossing a creek 12" deep, and following a dry creek bed for 1/2km. Last time we did this on Labour Day, I had to drive it much faster than I liked for fear of the van stalling at a critical point and leaving us stuck. This time, I could idle the van in 1st and gently squeeze the throttle when going over the roughest sections of boulders. What a difference!

Anyway, in 8 years of driving, albeit only about 55k kms in that time, my Westy with 378k kms on the clock, has needed the following, which is not bad I think: -2 CV boots -water pump -2 belts -clutch disc/rear main seal -J section of exhaust into cat -P/S line rusted out -new shocks -trans rebuild, including new R&P -steering knuckle -a few other items not needed but replaced in search for the VS cure...

The last item was by far the most expensive, but should last ~200k kms or more.

The van has only stranded me once, and that was 2km from home when the fuel line came loose above the trans.

I wonder how many of us would feel much, much better if only their VS problems would disappear? Ours now drives like it did 8 years ago, and I'm looking forward to our road trip to Idaho next week!

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"