Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:02:41 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: After market rear bumpers?
Comments: To: THX0001@aol.com

George I appreciate the input, though i'm not referring to rigid as a name brand, but the THICK pipe that isn't made to bend.. (it's near 1/4" thick, heavier then light structural steel) I do use a steel supply for my tubing and sheets, but i will alwayws point out whats avail to everyone at local homedepot type places. yeah I know the limits of the premade 90's but i section them or cut straight @ 2 45's and make squareish corners on mine..

as for the galvan coating.. i'm good with that, no need for polished chrome look anyways.. and YES it does hold black paint fine.. the area to be welded HAS TO BE GROUND FREE OF THE GALV COATING though.. Galv fumes are bad.. I agree with seekingout the professional welders.. I come from a family of Ironworkers/blue collar welders.. and I dabble comfy enough to fab my own bumpers/mounts/adapters and graft body sections..

now concerning my options to the stock vanagon sheet-metal my kids tricycle can bend it bumper i'm fairly content with a useful pice of gumption on the back..

word of caution, a good rear hit can and likely will create some frame damage/warpage. but compared to my stock van bumper it'd have done that and then some (to the motor/tranny liekly)

one thing I do like about the Vanagon listserv is that one is garunteed creative criticism... and it's quite welcome to help point out and work out short comings to a thought/idea/plan

all I offer is that which I have found successful and to make listees go Hmmmmm...

to each YMMV