Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:03:49 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: After market rear bumpers?
Comments: To: dosteven@syr.edu

In a message dated 10/3/03 12:03:30 PM, dosteven@syr.edu writes:

<< George I appreciate the input, though i'm not referring to rigid as a name brand, but the THICK pipe that isn't made to bend.. (it's near 1/4" thick, heavier then light structural steel) >>

Dan, I am referring to the same thing. It is called RIGID CONDUIT and it is sized the same as Schedule 40 pipe but it is not pressure rated. Untold feet of RIGID CONDUIT are bent everyday by electricians the whole world over. RIGID CONDUIT is provided by the manufacturer in a condition which allows the cold bending of it with ease.

The ells you see hanging at Home Depot are used as a matter of convenience for small jobs or because the tradesman does not have a rigid conduit bender. But, the convenience comes at a dear price. Today, rigid conduit benders are the mandrel type with the push coming from hydraulics. In the old days, even rigid conduit was bent by hand using a tool called a hickey. That was when men where men and they knew how to work. Although harder to do and requiring skill, a manually bent rigid conduit run was, in some ways, better. For one thing, the radii of the bends could be varied so that an array of conduits fastened to a wall would be concentrically graduated from the tightest to the largest radii. When done properly, it makes a job which is pleasing to the eye and balanced. Not at all like the one-size-fits-all hodgepodge you see today.

If I go on anymore, I'll start ranting and raving about how things SHOULD be better today, but are not.

George