Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:58:41 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      7,000 mile trip report- vendor recomendation

Hi Folks, Just back from a 3 1/2 week tour, and wanted to pass on some data: 88 GL, heavily loaded. Average highway speed- 70mph. Tires: 185/70R14's at 42 psi. Fuel economy (average) 21-22 mpg, running 87 octane gas (tried a couple tanks of 89, but hated the performance). Nothing special about engine set-up or timing. Trip route: Starting in the NE, heading out to chicago and Madison WS, then south to Austin,Texas. We looped home through the deep south, with a couple days traversing the mountains of eastern Tennessee, where the van did very well. I'm inordinately in love with this vehicle right now. It is for trips like this that I chose the vanagon, and I can't wait to go out again. Yes, there were troubles, but nothing out of line for an older car with over 120k on an original engine. And I have some good stories: -After a show in Pittsburg, I heard a crazed knocking sound at idle when we pulled into the Motel 6 at 3am. In the morning, I eventually figured out it was the alternator, so I went next door to Kinkos and checked the Vendor list: We made it two hours later to Streetsboro Foreign Auto, of of 80W between Youngstown and Akron OH. It was only then that the alternator seized, right in front for owner Elmar Kruza. Talk about luck! Elmar and his guys were great- he had us back on the road to Toledo within an hour with a reman alternator and new belts. A great shop, with VW vans of all stripes for sale as a whole or for parts. streetsboroforeignauto.com, 330-626-2456. -Around Chicago, we developed a oil leak the likes of which I've never seen. Couldn't ascertain where it was coming from, behind the tin on the driver's side head. Headed toward Lawrence KS, I went though 6 qts before making it to Jerry's Country Bug Works in southeastern Iowa. In the middle of the most beautiful nowhere I've ever seen, Jerry runs a fantastic place. Imagine a remote farm with a few hundred VWs covering the landscape. Jerry's a great guy, too, and we were happy to spend the day with him. Two great dogs, a fine cat, hummingbirds everywhere. Jerry and Chris not only nailed the leak(bad low pressure switch), but modified the alarm system so that I could trust it. Then he did a full check of the whole van- topping of the gearbox fluid, tightening the LF wheel bearing, schooling me on all kinds of details. I never felt so confident driving the van as when leaving his shop. bugworks@netins.net 319-293-9113

That's all for now, thanks -Matt Sutton