Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:42:56 -0400
From:         John Meeks <jmeeks@GASLIGHTMEDIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: How can I remove the dashboard?
Comments: To: Travers Fenton <fenton_travers@YAHOO.COM>

-----Original Message-----

Subject: How can I remove the dashboard?

I can't find how to remove the dash board in the Bently manual...anyone know which page it is on? I've already removed a bunch of bolts but I like their removal/installation guides because they tell you exactly what you need to do.

I can't find dashboard removal in the Bentley either, but Joel Cort posted a very detailed play-by-play on 7-30-2003.

Here's the dashboard part: Below are some basic instructions for doing the job:

Disconnect the battery: You will be working without the dash and with exposed hot terminals so it is best to disconnect the ground connection. To do this move the passenger seat forward, remove the plate under the rear of the seat protecting the battery and loosed the ground connection. Pull the ground wire off the terminal and fasten it so that it does not flip back and touch the battery terminal again.

Instrument cluster removal: Pull the instrument panel off and remove all the wiring. There are 4 Phillips #2 screws holding the plastic tab of the instrument cluster. Be careful, these tabs can get brittle with age. They will break and shatter. Wiggle you hand behind the speedometer and unclip the spedo cable. Just squeeze the connector and it will come out. Next pull out the switches by pressing the tabs to release them from the cluster. The cluster should lift out and remove the big wire connector plug. This will provide you room to get under the dash board. Put the cluster in a safe place that you will not sit or lay other components on.

Vent lever removal: Release all the vent levers. If you pull on the blue and red rubber knobs they will work off the lever. You will be able to see the mounting nut after the instrument panel is removed. You may have to remove the front and rear heater fan switches as well. Also remove any auxiliary wiring on the dash that you may have added on.

Radio: Remove the radio you are on your own here

Remove the Glove box: press the retaining tabs and lower the box to the floor board. Slide it off its pivot. Be careful not to press the retaining tabs to much or too hard, they could be brittle and break.

Syncro dash plate: (Applies to SYNCRO Model) Remove the Syncro dash plate and Differential lock switch(es).

Steering column: Remove the two bolts holding the steering column to the dash frame. These are safety bolts without a head because it is meant to snap off when the bolts are torque at the factory. I used a pair of vise grips and was able to turn these bolts loose. I replaced them with normal bolts. I think they are a thread of 8x1.25 mm and 25 cm long. The steering column will drop to the driver s seat and that is ok and out of the way.

Dashboard attachment: Unbolt the dashboard a. 6 or 8 #2 Philips head below the windshield b. 4 big bolts along the door jams. You will need to be able to open the doors wide enough to get your screwdriver/bolt driver in there

Dash removal: Ok the Dash should be loose and ready to pull off. a. Lift it up slowly and check what else is still wired and connected, like the cig lighter or AC switches, You will have to unplug all. b. I did it by myself but with an extra person it sure is easier to lift and pull the dash out one side or the other.

He continues with heater blower replacement. If that's what you are doing look up his post.

Best of luck, John Meeks Top of Lower Michigan 91 Westfalia MultiVan