Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:19:14 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: winterizing
Comments: To: Andrew Gies <andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM>

--- Andrew Gies <andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM> wrote:

> On an unrelated note, I am also going to try and > remove the interior of the > van to look for hidden rust, and prep for some > springtime rust/sound > proofing. > > What is the estimated time required to remove the > interior (behind the front > sides anyway) of a Westy? Is this a weekend or a > day job? I have a Bentley, but no previous > experience doing this. Andrew

Like most anything, experience helps. I take the interior out of my 91 westy every 2 years for spraying rust prention Krown oil in the interior of the van. I can get the kitchen out is about an hour, the rear seat out is about 15 minutes, the water cabinet out in about 30 minutes.

It takes a LOT of time to get thre rear hanging loset out as the horizontal rear closet must come out (if you have AC - good luck), then the cover over the sliding door has to come off to get at the bolts that hold the top bunk, so that the right side of the top bunk can be tilted up to allow the hanging closet to pivit to the right and out. All of that is a real PAIN.

Then the floor has to come out (30 minutes), the panel covers and insulation (40 minutes). Its a good time to put in new water lines and check all the electrical connections.

I do it over several days as I seem to lack a 'stick-to-it" attitude. You say that you have never done it before. Everything just un-screws or un-bolts, or snaps apart. LABLE everything that you take off or apart. If possible put all screws and bolts back in their holes for storage and use baggies with lables for little things. This is also a good time to R&R the fridge. If I can help let me know. Malcolm