Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:14:30 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle/mixture Screw

At 10:11 AM 10/06/2003, you wrote:

>That is the co screw, and it must be set with a >exhaust gas analyzer, I've got mine messed up the same >way, when I get it fixed I'm going to plug the hole, >no more playing with it, I can't find anybody with a >analyzer right now to adjust mine, good luck with >yours. Phil

Let us assume that when the adjustment screw was last set, it was after eliminating all weaknesses in the FI system and properly adjusted to spec with an exhaust gas analyzer. If you are going to play with that screw despite my advise not to, do this first. Carefully count and record the no. of turns to turn it to it's seat. That way, you can always turn it to the seat, then back out the proper no. of turns to reset it where it was to begin with.

If the current setting was correctly done initially and you begin to have running issues, turning the adjustment screw at best will just compensate for the weakness/es developing elsewhere that are causing the change. Poor response to adjustment if proof of faults elsewhere, and can only be noted with an exhaust gas analyzer when these weaknesses are first developing. You just cannot tune them by ear as is correct with carb adjustments.

I think it would be very difficult to find any reputable repair shop that didn't have an exhaust gas analyzer. It is an essential tool without which you will never get a rep for precise tuning always. Competence cannot be had without it.

Moreover, turning the mixture adjustment screw will not resolve anything to do with:

Cylinder compression balance out of spec. Fuel pressure out of spec. Temp sensor out of spec. Pressure regulator out of spec. AFM out of spec. Poor grounding of any of several items. Vacuum leaks Heavy deposits on valves or throttle body Poor throttle switch Sticky bypass valve Plugged breather Dirty air filter Dirty fuel filter Fouled or worn plugs Weak spark for any of several reasons

That's just off the top of my head. Bottom line, all else must be verified in spec prior to the final adjustment WITH an exhaust gas analyzer. Always, verify complete maintenance is up to date. If that doesn't resolve your issues, only then proceed with further diagnostics. In many cases, further diagnostics will be unnecessary. You will already know why you have poor mixture response or you will make the final verification of good response to precise adjustment with aid of the proper instrument to measure the adjustment.