Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:05:16 -0700
From:         Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Diesel head replacement: it's ALIVE, coolant question

Well, it started anyway, which calmed my torque-shattered nerves after pulling up those threads last week. Thanks to the group for all the help. Throwing away those spacers did the trick, and I didn't put in a helicoil kit. I may regret that come the next torque stage, but my shop mechanic talked me into it.

Three hours fifty minutes from bare block to introducing coolant back into the system and cranked.

I'll get around to bleeding it tomorrow evening I hope. Just enough coolant any now (sitting level) to fill the tank.

Which brings me to my question: I don't really "get" the instructions in Bently about bleeding, especially whether/when the coolant tank should be open or closed.

Do you leave the coolant tank open and keep adding coolant, or do you leave it shut and stop the engine every few minutes to top it up?

Obviously, after the thermostat opens you've got a lot more to put in, then more as the radiator fills.

Any tricks?

thanks,

Jim