Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2003 23:03:55 -0400
From:         Andrew Silliker <silliker@CYNICAL.NET>
Subject:      Trip Report - Westies @ Watkins

Well, another trip in the book. Kudos to Joel and family for a well organized event. Huge shout out to gowesty.com for the poptop seal that the door prize raffle sent my way.

Friday was a nice day here in VA, sunny and crisp. With the XCAP WGN loaded, we were good to go, and headed up the way towards Allentown to do a little transporting in the Transporter. A short visit with Chris (se pa), and Frank's alloy's and spares are on their way to Watkins.

We rolled into Watkins around suppertime, and hit a big crowd at the campground check-in. There was some dissatisfaction that the NYS park system ran out of electricity for the gang, but those without electric sites either pirated with some long extension cords, bunked up with the powerful, or reveled in the ability to save a few bucks and toughed it out. Rebecca and I fell into the latter camp and, save for some minor complaints from downstairs bunk of the nippy fall evenings, all was well.

Saturday dawn with that magical fall combination of cold and rainy, likely delaying many from making an early rise. With Binz (sp) loading everyone up will mulled wine on Friday night, that probably wasn't a bad plan anyhow. Saturday some took part in the gorge, others enjoyed fesitvals in Ithaca or a casual afternoon of fermented grape and rusting metal in the area's yards (vine and scrap/junk/car respectively). In a cruel act of pity, the sun came out around dinner, just in time to give a few rays of light and paint the sky for a nice sunset. Of course, no cloud means a cooler night, and there was plenty of cuddling to be had, I'm sure. That's where those indecent pop-top seal proposals were coming from I'll bet, but I digress.

Sunday was much more promising, weather-wise, although the cool track temperatures had me reaching for the slicks, and the rains of Saturday will have washed the rubber out of the groove. A morning person I'm not, but we managed to get everything squared away and tied down before the 11AM rallying call, barely.

The sound of Vanagons filled the air as we all lined up in front to the WAW headquarters at Site 76. The Mohawk loop was converted to a Vanagon only zone, a fact summarily ignored by a few in their biga$$ trucks and huge 5th wheel campers. After much staring down and revving of engines, the Vanagon sea parted and the interlopers were able to make their passage. After the road was cleared, the caravan began it's roll to the event grounds.

A few sprinkles dotted the windshield on the way to the track and during the wait for the opening of the gates. I was beginning to reconsider the slicks, and was heading to Frank's tire truck for some wet weather treads when the squall blew over and the sun came out again. Another crisis averted. Racing sure is a tense sport. So many decisions.

Eventually we rolled out on the track for our hot lapping session. I don't think that any records were set, but I believe some have proof that a Vanagon can out-power an air-cooled beetle. I believe that all other reports of passing are unfounded, except, of course, for the Thing that was caught on tape. Just to be safe, the California plates won't be returning next year. Ssshhh. As for the cone, let's just say that there was some field separation induced by some power differences. Well, let's be honest. I just wanted a souvenir. The track people took it back, though. They wouldn't let me keep it.

After the lapping session, we returned to the clubhouse for a good lunch, and some boasting of the on-track feats. Frank and I began to lay plans for the North American Vanagon Racing League, and I believe he may be in talks with the people in Montreal for us to be a replacement for the Canadian Grand Prix, due to our lack of tobacco sponsorship. Stay tuned for more details. I think we might be able to get in some grass drags at BusFusion, maybe?

Well, eventually every weekend has to come to an end, and the road beckoned. Goodbyes, nice to meet you's and next year's were said, and the XCAP WGN began her trip back to VA.

All in all, we hit higher speeds on the way home, but I could have used another 30 Vangons slicing and dicing to recapture the magic of the afternoon.

Westies @ Watkins 2003. Two thumbs up.

Ps I threw some pictures up at http://www.cynical.net/silliker/